Auckland is the largest city as well the commercial capital of New Zealand. This city is among the first places in the world to welcome New Year 2018. As the most crowded city in New Zealand, Auckland guarantees a vibrant atmosphere on New Years Eve. The Sky Tower fireworks display is something spectacular. For the best view of fireworks and lights throughout the city, try and get on cruise acrossing the waters from Devonport or on Mt Eden.
Events and Celebrations
Many events are tied in with SkyCity, which is expecting crowds of up to 30,000 people across various venues and in the streets surrounding the Sky Tower.
Sky Tower -tallest free standing structure in the Southern Hemisphere – is the focal point of the city’s spectacular fireworks display. This is one of the first to be beamed all over the world for celebrator’s to see and appreciate. The Sky Tower is part of Auckland’s entertainment complex, SkyCity, which includes bars, casinos, restaurants and hotels.
For sports enthusiasts, New Zealand National Cricket team usually plays on December 31st in nearby Queenstown. New Zealand is one of very few contributing countries where you can play outdoor cricket on NYE.
If you can stay a bit longer consider taking a sightseeing tour through the city, a cruise to the Bay of Islands or book a tour that takes you to the nearby Waitomo Glow Worm Caves where you’ll see amazing rock formations and ride through a cavern that is magically lit by glow worms.
Recommended Partying Venues
- Forte Bar and Nightclub at 2 Fort Lane, Auckland 1010
- Club Men of Steel at 2/68 Hobson Street, Auckland 1010
- Jet Reload at 26 Wyndham Street, Auckland, 1010
- Swingers Club Auckland – Club Sparty at Level 2, 25 Cross Street, Auckland 1010
- Penthouse Club Auckland at 13 Gore Street, Auckland 1010
- Cassette Nine at 9 Vulcan Lane, Auckland 1010
- Twentyone at 3, SKYCITY Auckland Cnr of Federal Street and Victoria Street, Auckland
- Cosh Bar at 153 Ponsonby Road, Ponsonby, Auckland 1011
- Las Vegas Club at 339 Karangahape Road, Auckland 1010
- Lenin at 201 Quay Street, Auckland, 1010
- Showgirls at 55 Customs Street E, Auckland 1010
- Mermaid Bar Auckland Strip Club at 322 Karangahape Road, Auckland 1010
- Bungalow 8 at 48 Market Place, Auckland, 1010
Most booked hotels and resorts for Christmas and New Year holidays:
- The Langham Auckland Hotel
- Abaco On Jervois
- Stamford Plaza Auckland
- Hotel Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour
- Heritage Auckland Hotel
- Hotel Novotel Auckland Ellerslie
- Auckland Takapuna Oaks
- SKYCITY Grand Hotel
- Crowne Plaza Auckland
- Hotel Pullman Auckland
- Hilton Auckland
- Hotel DeBrett
- Rendezvous Hotel Auckland
- Cotter House Luxury Retreat and Art Hotel
Do remember to book your tickets and hotels well in advance.